Information on How GLEEVEC Works for Ph+ CML
How GLEEVEC Works
GLEEVEC® is designed to affect what is believed to be the root cause of Philadelphia chromosome–positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML)—the Bcr-Abl protein. This abnormal Bcr-Abl protein sends signals to the body, causing the build up of abnormal white blood cells. Blocking this signal may stop the production and growth of these abnormal blood cells and stop the body from making more. GLEEVEC is also known to inhibit other proteins in the body that may affect non–CML-related cells.
The Bcr-Abl protein is a type of enzyme called a tyrosine kinase. As a type of drug called a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI), GLEEVEC works by inhibiting cell proliferation and inducing apoptosis in Bcr-Abl–positive cells and fresh leukemic cells from Ph+ CML. While Gleevec is targeted for Ph+ CML, it targets several receptor tyrosine kinase activities (RTK): c-KIT, Bcr-Abl, platelet derived growth factor (PDGF), and stem cell factor (SCF)—preventing or inhibiting activation.
Another treatment option works in a similar way to GLEEVEC
There is another treatment option for adult patients with Ph+ CML that is being prescribed for newly diagnosed patients in chronic phase and patients who cannot tolerate or have become resistant to GLEEVEC. Click here to learn more, and then talk to your doctor to see which treatment option is the best fit for you.
GLEEVEC (imatinib mesylate) tablets are indicated for:
- Newly diagnosed adult and pediatric patients with Philadelphia chromosome–positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in the chronic phase
- Patients with Ph+ CML in blast crisis (BC), accelerated phase (AP), or in the chronic phase (CP) after failure of interferon-alpha therapy
It is important to follow your doctor's instructions for taking GLEEVEC every day.
DO NOT TAKE GLEEVEC IF...
- You are pregnant or could be pregnant. Harm to the unborn child can occur when administered to pregnant women. Therefore, women should not become pregnant and should be advised of the potential risk to the unborn child if GLEEVEC is used during pregnancy
- You are breast-feeding, because of the potential for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants
- Sexually active females should use highly effective birth control while taking GLEEVEC